Exercise doesn’t have to be difficult or complicated. A daily brisk walk can help you and your dog get on the right path to a happier and healthier life. Walking has many benefits for you and your dog.
In addition to trimming the waistline, walking provides many other great benefits. It helps prevent or manage conditions like heart disease and high blood pressure. It strengthens your bones, lifts your mood and improves your balance and coordination. It also provides mental stimulation, entertainment and socialization for both you and your dog. Increasing the regularity, intensity and speed of your walk will enhance the overall benefits.
Plan a routine for you both
As you start your walking routine, remember to:
- Wear bright or reflective colors in dim light
- Plan your walk. Consider environment, weather and distance. Dress appropriately.
- For longer distances, bring water for both of you.
- Bring pick up bags to clean up after your dog.
- Warm up. Walk slowly for at least 5 minutes to warm up your muscles and prepare your body for exercise. This also gives your dog a chance to eliminate before you start.
- Cool down. At the end of your walk, walk slowly for at least 5 minutes to help your muscles cool down.
Track your progress:
Set you and your dog up for success! The best way to stick to a plan is to track your progress. Use a journal to write your miles, time, how you felt, what you saw. It is a great way to reflect on your progress when you need inspiration.
Another option is to use an electronic device — such as a pedometer or activity tracker— to calculate steps, distance or calories burned.
To Increase Intensity for extra calorie burn add hand weights or a weighted vest. K9FITvest does not shift or slide and interfere with form and movement.
Download PDF here and read more!